Wednesday 26 August 2020

RetroReviews: N0055 74 Talbot

My one visit here was a mistake. It was also still Mother Kellys back then.

Mother Kellys had quite the reputation. A local nickname of "The Pharmacy" applied, due to the apparent ease of getting certain possibly prescription products there.

I had been in N0006 Brew Dock, but wished to watch a football match - and Brew Dock only has terrestrial TV which is rarely used (you may not notice it at all - there's a projector upstairs and they put more TVs during the Euros). I decided to go up to Talbot Street rather than the potentially much safer idea of trying N0041 Robert Reades as-was and ended up in Mother Kellys

The pub was being 'run', to some level, by a single bar woman. She managed to remember, and indeed pour my round on the second go before I'd even got to the bar; and also managed to eject someone who was going around the pub trying to sell a single, presumably shoplifted, bottle of Smirnoff to patrons. 

Between the absolute headbanger status of most of the clientele, the guy trying to sell vodka with his reason of "I've just got out of the Joy and need money"; and the inch deep of 'water' (read: piss) on the floor of the toilets I should have bailed at half time - except due to the remembered order I actually had three pints in front of me, as the mate I was with had accidentally got a round also while I was wading through the mire downstairs.

Never again. I popped my head in to the refurbished and renamed 74 Talbot, and on seeing a similar crowd and not one of the promised "craft beers" - engraved on the windows - on the taps, I left. 

No comments:

Post a Comment