Friday 21 August 2020

RetroReviews: 1008963 Porterhouse Central

I've been here countless times before; the most recent in mid-February. I've been here as Judge Roy Beans (underage - its totally new operators since 2004!), I've been to the nightclub as Lillies. I've been to the Dingle Whiskey Bar that shares the licence. Its nowhere near the most frequently visited pub for me, but it would be hard to even try remember every time.

The Porterhouse provided Dublin's earliest craft beer bars and that's the main offering on the ground floor; along with a restaurant area at the back offering fairly decent conventional pub grub. The whiskey bar next door has a huge selection, including their own Dingle products but also a near complete set of current Scotch distilleries.

The nightclub on the upper floors has relatively recently been relaunched as Lost Lane; having been the infamous Lillies Bordello prior to this. Lillies, with its members only Library bar, bottle service and so on attracted an odd if varied crowd. I somehow ended up here one night from the rather other-end-of-the-scale Sin in Temple Bar; and another night when my employer decided it would make a good Christmas party venue for some reason. Its website is still up, for now; if you want a look back in time to what was one of the last vestitages of 1990s/pre-crash 00s Ireland.

No comments:

Post a Comment