Monday 18 December 2023

S1762 The Laurels

Some weeks before my trip to The Laurels, the group I was with were asked to both take an outdoor table and be prepared to leave if another group wished to eat in a bar. But that bar was in Barcelona; and the owner appeared to prefer leaving tables free for potential diners at all costs - there were a significant number of tables available inside too.

By comparison, when in The Laurels on my own those some weeks later, I was occupying a large four or small six person table, perfect in size to extend a broadsheet newspaper across. Some time towards the end of my pint, a very apologetic barman came over and asked if I would mind moving to a smaller table, should a larger party looking to eat come in.

I have absolutely no problem with this, and agreed - and indeed, did not need to, even after having a second pint; as no group of that size arrived. The smaller tables in question were still more than adequate to slum it in by folding my newspaper anyway.

That rambling comparison of the quality of hospitality in Ireland versus Catalonia does have a point - while the polite request is what you'd always want in Ireland; The Laurels has its eyes on becoming a hotel, where you would expect a certain standard of hospitality. I don't think that will be a problem here.

Beyond that interaction, which had no impact on me anyway and would barely have justified a mention even if I did move, this is a perfectly pleasant large suburban pub. There is obviously food on offer here, but it is maybe a tiny bit less of the core product than in its near neighbour.

No comments:

Post a Comment