Saturday 30 December 2023

1020516 O'Regans

This pub popped up like a submarine - I didn't notice planning for it, didn't notice any social media stuff for it in advance and only found out about it after it was already open. I do state that my list of future pubs - see the sidebar as the 2023 one is about to be replaced with a 2024 one so linking is pointless - cannot be exhaustive, but depth charges like this one are rare. In my defence, I believe the build might even have kicked off pre-pandemic when I wasn't tracking these things as closely.

Dublin By Pub has identified, in tweets I cannot currently locate, a trend that a substantial number of Dublin's new pubs are going for a classic Dublin pub interior these days, the complete opposite of the industrial look that was common for years (and even had some 2023 appearances). O'Regans meets this trend, with dark wood, brass, marble and padded seats making it feel like it could be contemporary to the building (1881).

The pub occupies two of the units of the South City Markets building, one formerly part of the still extant David Marshall hairdressers, and the other the missed, but still online, Opus II sheet music store. This sold instruments and equipment but was best known for its sheet music and music books, and this is what they now sell online.

This provides two bars, one offering cocktails and the other 'only' normal bar products. They both have an odd, limited but more than sufficient for me tap listing - featuring amongst the oddities Kilkenny, Harp and an own brand lager; with a Rye River IPA providing my drinks.

I visited this pub - and the next two - two days after the Parnell Square / O'Connell Street riots; feeling that the city centres retailers and publicans could do with some support. As a result, the pub was very, very quiet but this is not a visit that you could take as a baseline for how busy it might get.

No comments:

Post a Comment