Wednesday 20 December 2023

S1481 Two Sisters

This could have been my grandparents local - if either of them drank. One never did, one took to the odd sherry or vodka and white in later life - but after they'd moved away from almost directly  across the road. 

My mother - who also doesn't drink - main childhood memories are of a different house, as her parents lived here while she was in boarding school and Gaeltacht college for much of the year; and continued to lived there after she'd moved out to get married.

So I've no family lore about the pub to pad this out with. Oh well.

The pub was solidly busy on a cold evening, meaning I had to sit at the bar for my pint. But this provided a better accidental eavesdropping location than sitting elsewhere in the pub did, and this lead me to overhear the most Celtic Tiger era conversation I've heard in years (at least outside of D2/4).

Great detail was gone in to relating to selecting a rental property to buy, yields, interest rates and risks; although I got the impression that those getting the information were not convinced that this was the time to become a landlord. Neither was I, although I could probably only afford to invest in a Lego house in D6W.

No comments:

Post a Comment