Friday 21 September 2018

N0250 The Villager

This has to be one of the smaller pubs I'll visit during the course of the blog. It has been described elsewhere - including on a press cutting they display on the wall - as a "country pub near the city centre" and this is a fairly accurate assessment of its form and layout.

It was a sunny weekend afternoon when I arrived, and most of the customers were sitting outside the pub on the steps from the footpath to the road. As I walked in to an effectively empty bar, under a still dripping plant waterer, I thought I may have gone in to the wrong part of the pub (or a private party) and had to ask the staff if I was in the right place. But I had - this was the entirety of the pub.

The downstairs of the pub is one small room with old fashioned seating; and upstairs is a cocktail bar. There's an on-site pizza oven somewhere, which I could smell but didn't see. The pub is cozy, the staff are friendly and the drink is reasonably priced. This is somewhere you could easily adopt as your local, if only property prices weren't quite so high in Chapelizod!

No comments:

Post a Comment