Thursday 27 September 2018

N0079 Botanic House

This fine Victorian lump of a pub in very, very south of Glasnevin (Glasnevin seems to slowly creep over less fashionable placenames nearby, not that there is anything wrong with Phisboro - even prior to its recent Time Out push) closed towards the end of the financial crisis and only recently reopened.

Now refurbished to a fairly standard semi-traditional style, it doesn't seem to differ much in description from the pre-closure plug on Publin; however sports are no longer a major part of the package. Now marketed as a gastropub, the restaurant service in the lounge is the main attraction here now and is what I ended up sampling.

A heavily seafood based menu does seem a bit odd so far inland, at least to me. I don't eat seafood if I'm paying for it (I've had the occasional allegedly-cod and chips foisted on me) so I stuck to the remaining third of the menu and the food was fine; nothing earth shattering but a little bit above a normal pub anyway

A fairly generic tap lineup is joined by Larkins Irish craft product. I stuck my head in to the bar section to see if it was massively different to the rest of the pub - and it isn't hugely.

No comments:

Post a Comment