Thursday 26 September 2024

RetroReview: S0366 Johnnie Foxes

Dinner, a show, and an argument about whether this is actually the highest pub in Ireland. What more could anyone want?

This is somewhere else I attended due to work, but did actually imbibe (a half, as far as I remember) - shortly after some major yet careful refurbishments, which upgraded electrical and safety systems but left the pub looking almost identical to before, I did the tech ops for a breakfast show outside broadcast from here.

The pub is not the highest in Ireland, but uses the terms "famed as" or "reputed as" to make the statement seem like someone else's fault. It is, I am quite sure, the highest in Dublin and is also the furthest South in Dublin by a reasonable amount (I direct those who believe that Little Bray is still in Dublin to look at the 1898 boundary changes - The Coach Inn is in Wicklow)

It is twee, but if you stay away from the main show hall there are nice niches in the bar to bury yourself in, amongst the huge amount of greebling. My memory is that the food is quite good.

No comments:

Post a Comment