Wednesday 17 April 2024

S0397 Byrnes of Galloping Green

A wonderful traditional pub, with a wonderful name, that could be in any rural town in Ireland and yet could also only be in Dublin. Rather hard to describe in words, this is well worth a visit, and has a 46A bus stop right outside it - so no excuse not to visit really.

Amongst the greebling here - an A/B payphone, old photos and old breweryana - is a framed newspaper clipping that has lead to my single highest view count on a post to date.

(I had actually taken a photo of the framed clipping, but the glass was so reflective you'd mostly see me; not the clipping - so here's the INA version of it)

I didn't manage to get a seat throughout my entire visit here, the pub being that busy - and yet its probably the only pub I'd be willing to go stand in again (at my age, with my knees - I was never told that your body started failing in your 30s).

The outside of the pub has signage stating it to to be the "Philipstown House"; a name I can't find an obvious explanation for - the name of the area on all old maps is Galloping Green, with no suitably named adjoining townlands.

No comments:

Post a Comment