Monday 29 April 2024

N1422 Leonards

"Regulars Only" is something you'd think I might hear from door staff occasionally doing this - but I don't, because I usually go during the day when there aren't any.

In the case of Leonards, it was written on the doors instead. But considering the pub advertises its daytime food offerings extensively - social media posts as well as signs outside - I just pretended I temporarily couldn't read and went on in. And was served without proving any regular status.

This ticking trip was on Good Friday, a day on which I have little experience of the potential crowds - we've only had a few that we can drink on, with a pandemic in the interim; and I think this is my first ticking day on a Good Friday. From this pub on, there was a noticeable element to the Good Friday crowd -  tradesmen who have done a mornings work and knocked off early for the long weekend - with a table of Des Kelly fitters having a fried lunch amongst the customers here.

The "Regulars Only" sign is clearly there for a reason; I am guessing relating to weekends and evenings; but there seems to be no problem popping in here during the day to try stake out your regular status. This is very much an "estate pub", but in the Irish tradition - it is in a housing estate, it is in a shopping centre; but it has a pitched roof (well, it has a mansard roof - but its not a flat roofed box), it is in good condition inside and out and it has windows

No comments:

Post a Comment