Monday 11 September 2023

S0230 The Yellow House

Unlike the previous pub where I can't remember much of the pub itself; I remember a lot more of my visit to the Yellow House, primarily due to getting in to a conversation with the barman and a regular about where to get replacement car keys made. The glamourous chats that I have as I tick off my list.

An imposing, and I would say a tad English looking externally, purpose built pub of the Victorian era - which has much of its interior intact, but presumably not enough to get on those lists of Dublin Victorian Pubs. The listing on the NIAH includes some details on the construction and architecture. 

Although, its non-standing as one of the "classic" Victorian pubs might be that it's actually too damn old -SDCC Libraries claim the first record of a pub here is 1798 and that the existing buildings are actually 1825. They look rather newer than that to me, however; but there are other dates pre the 1837 Victorian cut-off given elsewhere such as 1827 in this Times article.

Regardless of whether is late Georgian or Victorian; or excluded from "the list" of Victorian pubs for another reason, its worth visiting. Any pub where a first time drinker can get chatting to the locals and the barman about absolute nonsense usually is.

No comments:

Post a Comment