Sunday 24 September 2023

1015300 Elephant and Castle

Like many McKillen venues, this really fails the duck test for being a pub; but it has a full licence - inherited from the famed McGowans /Braemor Rooms / County Club pub and venue that previously sat here. However, one of my draft rules for 'what is a pub' is whether somewhere has regulars, and this E&C does.

I sat outside the 'pub' to have my overpriced pint of Italian-branded lager (I'm not sure where Moretti sold here is actually made); and was joined at the outside tables by a middle aged woman who knew the staff and clearly came here frequently for a wine and a view of a carpark.

The most interesting part of this trip was that there's a pharmacy next door with a VERY LOUD door opening alert for the staff - which happens to sound like someone playing the SCNF (French train company) announcement jingle on an 80s keyboard



You do need to have heard it over a worn out station tannoy system to notice the resemblance I suspect. And you can just go in to the pharmacy rather than pay over the odds for booze here to do so; and if you want a pint here I'd suggest you go to the sites of my previous or next writeups instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment