Wednesday 12 April 2023

N0237 The Homestead

The second of the remaining 1940s pubs of Cabra, the Homestead presents a far fancier image to the street; with a large neon sign on its corner portico, which also features some stained glass - but not the beer brands of that at McGraths previously.

I would have said a "far grander image", except it could have come across as too much of a pun - this pub sits almost next door to what is now Jack Potts Bingo but was once the Cabra Grand Cinema and latterly music venue. Being on what is basically a residential road, it is strange to find a a venue of this scale. During its peak period as a concert venue, bands such as the Ramones, Duran Duran and Hawkwind played to large audiences in suburbia; at what were presumably "dry" gigs as I have never located a liquor licence for the cinema! 

Presumably The Homestead would have been exceptionally busy on these nights; and indeed it was relatively busy the night I dropped in - but not too busy to get a table. 

I also ate dinner here, having been in the previous pubs that did food too early in the day; and suspecting that my next target(s) might not actually do food. There is a relatively large menu here - all the traditional pub classics - and they promote their food offerings quite extensively on social media. What I had was done well.

I quite liked this place - it felt like the kind of pub I'd be quite happy to have as my local. It'll be practically backing on to the Cabra train station, should that ever get built, so I doubt I'll be able to afford what house prices here will become though!

No comments:

Post a Comment