Thursday 13 April 2023

N0230 Hanlons Corner

First impressions and all that - they were crap here.

Walked in the door, having to navigate through various smokers, and directly inside the pub there were two gambling machines. Questionably legal at the best of times, and more reminiscent of a UK pub, these are not what I want to see in a pub.

The large lounge was closed for a private party - but not signed as such, so I was politely directly back to the entirely full bar. The tap lineup did have a single craft offering - rare on the day trip I was on, but as it was Wicklow Wolf Arcadia lager, not a beer type I normally drink.

So, I knocked my pint at the bar, and left. I later returned, after having gone to the more convivial atmosphere of N0211 Clarkes City Arms, to try go in to the off-licence at Hanlons Corner.

Nobody answered my ring on the doorbell - before 9pm, let alone close to 10pm - but looking through the window, you were out of luck if you wanted anything other than the main few brands of cans. There's a Lidl behind here with a better offering.

The staff seemed fine, but my overall impression here was poor - and this is not an area without a lot of other pubs available, all of which I prefer. Maybe a revisit would be totally different - but if I already prefer the City Arms, why would I bother?

No comments:

Post a Comment