Friday 7 April 2023

Duck Test - removing aerodrome licences from list

I've previously mulled over "What is a Pub?" and listed off the types of licence I consider as counting for the purposes of map completion.

I've since decided that I'm going to drop Aerodrome licences from that list; and hence from my map and my own completion stats. There are a number of reasons for this:

1: More and more of them are failing the Duck Test - these no longer look and act like pubs. Yes, The Gate Clock out at the 300 gates in Dublin Airport looks and acts like a pub. 1001987 The Oak bar in T2 arrivals looks and acts like a pub. But The Loop Collections Desk in T1 (licence 1008888, required to let you collect bottles of spirits) does not, nor do the three Burger Kings which have a Budweiser tap.

2: Licence numbers change constantly depending on who is operating the premises. If I left a red pin for every defunct licence at the airport, the map would be a sea of red as the operator of some premises has changed three times in the period I am covering.

3: More and more of the licences are airside, and require you to have a ticket (and possibly even a specific ticket type and destination, for the lounges) to get to them.

4: There is the teeniest chance of a conflict of interest relating to my employment, that does not apply to any other type of licence.

This has led me to remove 12 Aerodrome licences (11 at Dublin, plus one at Weston) from the list; most of which I had already visited. This, plus a cleanup of closed licences, has brought my completed pubs number back under 650 - and the total licence list to under 1000 for the first time in years. But it provides a more realistic picture of what is left to be done, and does not require me to pay in to the East Lounge, or drink a bottle of wine bought from the Wrights shop in the carpark structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment