Thursday 20 June 2019

S1441 The Lamplighter

Back in December I visited the just reopened N0207 Dillons, which was being operated by a barman from The Lamplighter. The same owners had taken on the long-closed pub (formerly Liam Walshs), and after the refit and opening there, moved staff over to do similar works here. I got chatting to the barman and promised to visit The Lamplighter when it reopened - I had to visit it eventually anyway.

When I visited, the internal refit of was complete, but the external work was still underway. Larger windows had been installed (reinstated, I think) including opening some on the completely blanked off side that's visible on Google Maps and made the pub significantly more welcoming from outside - something also done nearby to S1456 The Lark Inn on Meath Street recently enough.

Its a larger pub than Dillons, so there was more than one working behind the bar - and shortly after ordering, the barman I'd met in Dillons appeared, and recognised me immediately. My advanced height does make it a bit easier to pick me out in a crowd; but it had been a few months since the only time I'd seen him before, so he does have impressive powers of recall

The pub is fitted out to a nice standard in a traditional style. Apparently a multi-level outdoor area was under construction still - I'd imagine this should be open now and should be a nice suntrap on the few suitable days.

1 comment:

  1. The Lamplighter closed early in 2023 around the time its licence was renewed with conditions: https://www.irishlegal.com/articles/district-court-music-licence-granted-to-publican-despite-objection-to-sound-levels-being-emitted-from-venue
    The premises are still being maintained so I've no idea what is going on.

    ReplyDelete