Friday 12 April 2019

N1879 The Bloody Stream

This "Railway Refreshment Room" in Howth Railway Station is a major tourist trap, offering a seafood heavy food menu as its primary attraction. There were no tables available inside, so I headed outside with my pint of Hope to the outdoor/smoking area beside the door.

Here I ended up giving advice on where to get food/drinks in Dublin 8 to an American family which resulted in an unrequested but appreciated free pint. Hopefully they followed it and enjoyed some simple and well executed food in Harkins rather than paying over the odds elsewhere.

These kind of touristy pubs really aren't my thing; and Wrights policy of reserving the bulk of seating for those eating isn't that useful (N0243 The Anglers Rest had the same issue) but clearly makes them more money, so is unlikely to ever end. It was getting a bit dark, and the outdoor seating is facing the main road in to Howth so it doesn't have the quaintness that the Anglers Rest could offer on a good day either.

I felt like I was done for the day, so the logical thing to do would have been to get food here and head home - but I don't like fish. So I headed back in to Howth to finish off the full set of pubs in the town.

Update:

Ever since I started trying to only post one pub a day, I sometimes end up writing these posts weeks and weeks after the actual visit - this was nearly a month. I forgot something somewhat important for this one.

I thought I'd get pub #450 in on this trip, but had forgotten that I'd got an unexpected one - and didn't consider that that Summit Inn has two licences either. I got my laptop out to check here, and found that this was pub 450.

I used to try and pick out the "big number" pubs as something special - but this has quite fallen apart. #400 was not the pub I intended to go to, #350 happened due to forgetfulness and #300 happened due to circumstance. I'll try think of something special for 500 - but I have absolutely no idea where.

No comments:

Post a Comment