Wednesday 24 April 2019

N0158 Wrights Findlater

I moaned in the last post about Wrights food-centric venues seating policies, and I suspect that this pub has the same during peak periods - but it was approaching the end of the days food service when I went in and selected myself a prime table with plug sockets. I need charge for both my laptop and my phone at this stage, possibly more critically than I needed food myself, so an obvious twin socket guided me towards a chosen seat more than anything else.

This is the remaining public part of the former St Lawrence Hotel complex; with the bulk of it having been converted to apartments. The building undeniably looks better now after the mid-00s redevelopment, and removal of the brown render it had prior to it. Howth has lost all of its old hotels, as mentioned in the N0166 Summit Inn post, but this one keeps an important part of the old hotel open and operating as well as retaining its original licence.

This was where I decided to get food, and on requesting a menu I was informed of a relatively substantial amount of options that were unavailable due to how busy they had been since the last intake of fresh food on Friday - it was an unseasonably warm weekend and Howth had been incredibly busy. The waitress provided me with the password for the staff wifi on seeing the laptop as apparently there had been complaints about the public network - I hadn't even tried it yet, but had no issues afterwards

The food - what was still available anyway - was good, the staff were friendly and attentive and the drink lineup was relatively good, with a local Hope tap alongside the usuals

The near full availability of Hope in their local pubs here is heartening, and it is interesting that even with one tap per pub in most cases, most of the range was available if you travelled around the town.

No comments:

Post a Comment