Saturday 24 February 2018

S1447 Drop Dead Twice Taproom

This is what this pub was called when I visited. I think. As far as I can tell, this premises has had more different names than any other in Dublin and it has had two other names very recently - Stage 19 and Tivoli Backstage.

I have issue with the current name - although I doubt the operators are aware as to the reasons. Many years ago, this premises was known as the Green Lizard and was the scene of an IRA related murder - inside the pub, not on the doorstep as is more common in pub killings in Ireland (the strange but extremely detailed Dying For A Pint will educate/scare anyone about this topic). Only a minor thing, really.

The current incarnation is a fairly standard Dublin craft pub. Drop Dead Twice itself upstairs seems to be going strong so hopefully the co-branding of downstairs may give it the push it needs to keep going for more than the ~18 months it has taken for a closure and rebrand since the early 2000s.

As an aside, this ended up being my 300th pub tracked. I had intended for #300 to be something notable and, well, it is notable enough really. Not in the same way as the historic pubs I had for #200 and #250

1 comment: