Saturday 25 November 2023

S2186 Ollies Bar

A single storey pub? With a (partially) flat roof? In a shopping centre, opposite a council estate?

If you listen to all the "don't drink in a pub with X" claims, I should have run as far as possible from this pub, which sits behind the Balally Shopping Centre. But I went in, and it was fine.

The pub was very busy, astoundingly warm, and extensively decorated for Halloween when I visited. In keeping with the season, I managed to give someone a brief scare while here - and not from a costume. 

As I may have mentioned before, I am of what was once considered abnormal height, and while there's now piles of teenagers the same height as me, they aren't old enough to drink yet. A slightly awkward toilet door arrangement here caused me to open the door inwards just as someone was about to push it, and the surprise at the door going away from him and A Giant appearing from behind it caused him to recoil sufficiently that his glasses fell off the top of his head. They weren't broken, not that I could really be at fault for being Quite Large.

I'd say the bulk of the people in the lounge were there for the carvery offering, and I should probably have stuck my head in to the bar too - but I'm more of a lounge dweller and I can't realistically have two pints in every pub either.

No comments:

Post a Comment