Monday 9 October 2023

S1482 The Village Inn

Telling the colleague mentioned in my previous writeup that I had actually gone to the pub they told me not to lead to a lengthy catch-up phone call, which happened after I'd bought a pint here.

I'm not going to take a phone call inside a pub in normal circumstances, and particularly not if its quite busy with people watching sports; so I spent the majority of my visit to The Village Inn in the smoking area out front, leaning on a barrel. So my memory of the interior of the pub is basically non-existant. 

Nice enough outdoor area though.

I do wonder if The Village Inn is the most common pub name in Ireland - with our trend of having a current or former owners name over the door, only a very common surname (and specifically maybe a Tipperary surname, with the odd propensity for Tipp publicans outside of the county) would probably outrank it. I do, sort of, have the data set to try work this out - but pubs are increasingly listed by their limited company name, and while Shancroft Taverns Ltd does also have The Village Inn listed on the register, not every pub has their trading name - or a current trading name when they do.

In Dublin, there are three Village Inns trading - this one, one in Finglas and one in Ballyboughal. There is also a trading Villager in Crumlin; a former Village Inn in Inchicore (T Kinsella - but it was called Village Inn that when I visited it) and also Rathcoole (now Baurnafea House) and Clondalkin (Purty Central). There may be more pubs with Graingers in the name, but as a prefix; and the same applies to Madigans.

No comments:

Post a Comment