Wednesday 17 May 2023

1000393 Gilbert and Wright

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the Wright Group has some form of Celtic Tiger Time Machine fitted to their premises - as, once again, I find myself in somewhere that seems to have barely changed since some time shortly after the smoking ban came in; and which was again somewhat cheaper than the nearby pubs despite trying to put off a "classier" image.

Gilbert & Wright was once a sub-brand of the Wright Group, and indeed was actually franchisable at the time - so I'm not sure how many of the peak of four locations were actually run by the Wrights.

Malahide is the last branch standing. The Swords branch was re-absorbed in to the main Wrights there - the location of my previous time warp experience; the Dun Laoghaire branch has been multiply rebranded and is now S0269 Buck Mulligans; and the Clontarf branch was also rebranded but has since closed down.

If I had reason to be going out in Malahide frequently, I'd prefer Gibneys for being most like a normal pub, but my wallet would prefer here.

No comments:

Post a Comment