Wednesday 1 February 2023

S0173 Searsons

This might, finally, be the last of the "how have you not been there before?" pubs in Dublin - and now, I have. 

That large pubs in D4 are not my regular haunts didn't stop me being asked about my omission of Searsons - which was because, just like S0181 The 51 two posts ago, it was quite full on the night I visited its neighbours - and I went to S0172 The Waterloo instead. 

The pub was significantly less busy this time; but it did look like it would be difficult to get a table. I'm not a bar-sitter the majority of the time; particularly when it may be blocking a busier bar; but the bar staff were far from busy on that part of the bar and there were seats right at the end.

Being perched down there did lead to a (honestly) interesting conversation about that most D4 of topics - house prices - with another patron who did actually pop in for one on the way somewhere.

Said perch was just by the memorial to Con Houlihan - a man much memorialised in pubs, with this one an omission from that fairly long list. The snug adjacent also carries his name. Multiple of these premises are owned by the Chawke Group; with some reports of the installation of busts reporting the owner Charlie to have been a friend of Con's.

No comments:

Post a Comment