Monday 30 January 2023

S0181 The 51

I had skipped here on a previous work-through of the area, as despite actually entering the pub, I couldn't find any space to reasonably drink a pint in. 

However, on the Sunday of a weekend without a match in mid-January, there was no trouble finding a perch at the end of the bar; and I could probably have found a nice table if I'd bothered looking.

But perch at the end of the bar I did, and finish the paper I'd started on the train as well as the supplied copy of NewsFour, and the bars absolutely huge whiskey menu.

Spirits - whiskey and gin - are the draw of the bar here, but they did have a single Irish micro tap; and odd choice for Dublin at that - Wicklow HopKnut, which I'm very willing to drink.

The pub calls itself a Sports Bar (see website title - also see the very cheap specials on show, those photos are old); and has a reputation as being a rugby pub, but the crowd in when I visited were locals and the food offering was clearly the main draw.

As an aside - this was my first visit of my first pub-ticking trip in quite a while; having been taken ill with the hideous flu variant that was going around at Christmas which left me massively sub-par for actual weeks rather than the few days that even COVID got me for; and while weekend trips before the traditional January payday were a thing for me in pre-pandemic years, it was very good to be back doing normal things - much of 2022 was still very abnormal!

No comments:

Post a Comment