Sunday 5 February 2023

S0034 Matt the Thresher

Its won awards as a "gastro pub", it advertises itself as a "city centre bar" on the website header, and Anthony Bourdain sat at the bar for Guinness and oysters.

But to me this is a restaurant, at least now - sitting at the bar went away everywhere during the pandemic pubs-open-as-restaurants era; and seems to have never come back here. However, it retains a full pub licence and as such, is on my list of places to tick off.

I imagine that if its not busy for food, you will be accommodated at a table and able to order off the drinks menu; but it was dinner time anyway so I did actually eat.

Its a seafood restaurant, and despite coming from a family that has history of both fishing and building commercial fishing boats; I don't actually eat seafood. However, there is a burger on the menu - maybe for picky kids there with their parents - so I went for that! 

Food was fine, pint (of O'Haras) was... less than ideal, but drinkable - I suspect it doesn't move much.

There's a chance that bar service is offered at other times; maybe when its tourist season or during matches at the Aviva or something; there just weren't any seats there when I visited.

No comments:

Post a Comment