Friday 29 March 2019

S1438 MVP

I was still seeking out food, and MVPs website has a Thursday-Saturday menu on it, so surely I'd get my dinner here?

Well, no - it wasn't available that specific evening, I didn't ask for details why. I ended up in Pinheads (again) for that.

MVP is a Bodytonic pub, and due to forgetting that they have opened 1006999 The Lighthouse in Dun Laoghaire I had written a bit about having now visited all of them. Well, I haven't yet. I'm not sure if the name is meant to place it in the Bodytonic sports bar range of pubs, or is a reference to something else entirely; but if so its the smallest of them and generally still feels quite like a traditional suburban pub rather than the high sports decoration of S0145 The Square Ball and N0120 The Back Page. This was a bit of rushed visit as I really did need to get food somewhere, and had I not been specifically pub-bagging I would probably have asked about food before buying a pint.

And now for the history bit. There's a relatively high density of pubs in this area, and then fairly large areas beyond without in all directions. Some of this is explained by current or former non-residential land use - army barracks, a hospice, parkland, and a substantial cemetery for instance; and demolition for road widening or redevelopment to apartments.

However, one closed premises remains - the building right next door was also a pub with the fantastically weird name of "The Old Grinding Young" at one point in the past. This is a reference to an abstract concept of renewal/rebirth rather than a reference to a Harcourt Street or Georges Street nightclub dancefloor!

No comments:

Post a Comment