Friday 22 March 2019

1010288 Berlin D2

Originally a cafe/restaurant known for its music, Berlin was originally on Clarendon Row and then moved to Dame Street (and through to Dame Lane) in 2017, taking over the former premises of the Front Door, which was a fairly generic boomtime bar. Via its music operations, it trades on a theatre licence, furthering the side of my constant internal argument that these should be included - the eventual trudge around the suburban civic theatres to watch comedy gigs may eventually break me from that habit!

Generally, Berlin has been packed any time I've walked past the door, and had security on the door - something that still vaguely puts me off going in if I've even had one pint beforehand. Memories of Tripod doormen in ~2006 hang in my mind obviously!

However, in the late afternoon on a Saturday, it was almost empty. I was heading towards Kimmage (the next post will explain why) and had a substantial amount of time to kill due to its abjectly awful bus service, so dropped in.

The premises is fairly large, albeit maybe not by Dame Street area standards. There's a fairly nice laid-back atmosphere when its quiet, but it'll clearly be vastly different at night - there are notices that the tables and chairs are removed later on.

The music is not quite to my personal tastes, so its unlikely I'll be back to see what it's like at night though. Having been in similar venues that do cater to my tastes, its on the decent end of the scale in terms of space and size although I hope the basement toilets aren't the only ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment