Sunday 13 January 2019

N0123 Beaumont House

Its odd to find a pub quite so heavily adorned with Guinness memorabilia, documents and logo usage anywhere other than one hoping to get tourists in the door within a few minutes walk of the Storehouse; but there is probably more valid a claim here than any other. Arthur himself lived in the area, in a still mostly extant house which was held the name the pub now uses. So they get a pass to use it.

A substantial corner building, this pub has a large off licence, huge food-oriented lounge and a small bar. We opted for the bar. Apparently this is now one of Bertie Ahern's haunts - and lo and behold, there is a Bass tap on the counter. Many years ago I used to go to gigs and clubnights all across the UK so the more traditional ale is something I'm fairly used to, and Rye River's Retro IPA is an occasional visitor to my fridge - I'm actually drinking one while writing this. This meant I didn't need to look much further for my beer option here.

A pint was obtained and met my expectations. The bar is a bit chaotically laid out, and mainly seems to be for watching sports - I'm not sure where you'd go here of a weekend afternoon if you wanted neither Premier League football (or horse racing) or the smell of carvery food though.

1 comment:

  1. It was owned by Guinness for a while in the 1990s, hence the branding.

    ReplyDelete