Thursday 10 October 2024

N0354 O'Dwyers Golf Links Inn

Just before going in here, I was told on Twitter that it has a local nickname - The Widows - and that under no circumstances am I to accidentally say it to any of the members of staff.

There was one member of staff who did seem a bit frosty (the titular Widow perhaps) but otherwise, all fine and I didn't let my tongue slip.

A 60s pub, possibly the first in the village - outer areas of Dublin are very hard to trace the pub history of, so I wouldn't be surprised if there had been other pubs that have since closed - O'Dwyers has been recently renovated and has a very large restaurant area alongside the main bar areas.

I had dinner here, and due to what I found out was an error rather than a food choice, was served a gravy boat of actual gravy with my burger and chips. And extremely good gravy it was too - presumably made with the juices from the carvery joints - but it was meant to be pepper sauce. I'm not sure if I'd have preferred it to have been a bold new frontier in taste.

I managed to leave a hoody behind here, one I wore a lot, but which was very much starting to show its age. Not worth going back for it, considering Portmarnock is actually a bit of a pain to get to; I've bought its replacement now - so for the next three years or so my pints ticking hoody will be light grey, not black-increasingly-fading-to-dark grey.

No comments:

Post a Comment