Thursday 27 July 2023

N0242 Myo's

This pub always sounds like it should be in a village halfway up a mountain in a coastal county, and not at the main road junction in a busy suburb - but it is quite an old pub. 

The pubs name is an odd one - allegedly, according to then local FF TD Jim Tunney in the Evening Herald, September 26th 1975; it is a corruption of "Miahs", as in a shortening of the name Jeremiah; from a former owner Jeremiah O'Donnell. This shortening is a bit more common in Cork than elsewhere in Ireland, as far as I know.

This could, of course, be absolute nonsense - a nearly 50 year old quote from an over 20 year old dead TD is not something that can be queried for accuracy. 

I unexpectedly ran in to an old colleague on my visit here, which provided an interesting distraction and probably stopped me from doing a danger run of trying every one of the numerous 5 Lamps taps, considering I've generally avoided drinking them anywhere else. 5 Lamps picked up a lot of tap space in the wake of the early 2023 Heineken price rises, so I wonder if the same thing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment