Tuesday 1 March 2022

N0758 Clonsilla Inn

What to do when your flight gets postponed by an entire day due to weather and you now have a spare afternoon? Why, visiting suburban D15 pubs in a storm is a perfectly sensible idea to use up that time - and the 90 minute bus fare makes the jumps between them a lot cheaper than it would have been a few months further back.

Some baseline expectations with these pubs - they're usually quite large, they usually have to appeal to a very mixed audience and they're usually close to city centre prices - big premises, late licences, security if required for nights all bring the cost base up.

I arrived here just as snow began, and sat with my first pint looking at a mini-blizzard out the window - making a decision that if it continued to snow, I'd stick with one pub! 

So, going on the three assumptions - the pub is huge. It also appeals to multiple audiences at once - the lounge area has a section that's clearly used for parties, with signs up about party things you can't do for cleaning reasons (confetti etc); there's a separate bar with racing on; and there's all day food. I needed to get lunch, and knew I could here as I often see my window cleaner tagging himself when having breakfast or lunch here! And the pricing is close enough to city prices, albeit reasonable city prices not six quid a pint grade.

It was just at the changeover time from the lunch to dinner menus, but what I wanted happened to be on both, so there was no discussion necessary about whether it would still be on.

The snow stopped (briefly, as it turned out) and I left to head to the next pub - as determined by what had a bus stop nearby!

No comments:

Post a Comment