Saturday 25 September 2021

1013727 Wasabi

Another finish-off-an-area choice, but less of an odd miss than my previous writeup - as this last hit for me on Dorset Street was closed for a decent while between its previous incarnation (WJ Kavanaghs, a craft beer bar connected to N0222 L Mulligan Grocer) and reopening as a sushi and Brazilian BBQ bar and restaurant.

That sushi-Brazilian combo may seem strange, but I've been assured by actual Brazilians that sushi is huge in parts of Brazil due to a significant Japanese origin population. I think the operator of this pub had a standalone sushi restaurant before expanding to the significant pub + offo setup they have here now, so there does seem to be experience behind the sushi offering. 

But I don't eat fish, so rather like my previous visit to a Brazilian bar in Dublin, I had a picanha burger off the Brazilian BBQ menu, which met expectations.

As goes the food - the bar has a back door on to Georges Place, and every time I was within sight of that door (the toilets are beside it, so that was frequently enough) I could see an army of Deliveroo drivers and their bikes/mopeds - they appear to have developed a solid delivery offering from here during lockdown if not before. 

The clientele is less heavily Brazilian than it was in the now gone 3 Spirits, but they still made up a significant proportion of the customers. But this is more of a restaurant with a pub licence; and 3 Spirits was more in to Brazilian music, football, cheaper pub style food and general fun - its closure and replacement by an office unit is a loss to the Dublin pub scene.

The bar is quite large, so you're unlikely to have trouble getting a table if you drop in. The tap lineup appeared to be the now horrendously common Heineken Ireland Only lineup though, which I really dislike seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment