Wednesday 4 November 2020

RetroReviews: S0112 O'Neills (Suffolk Street)

A vast, labyrinthine pub, much of which faintly smells of roast meat at all times of day from the famed carvery.

O'Neills sits on the corner of Suffolk Street and Church Lane, a street I'd guess most people don't know the name of (although it is signed), in a definitely Edwardian building that is often mis-identified as Victorian by its design.

There's multiple sub-areas to the pub, including a whiskey bar and a substantial open roofed beer garden on the top floor.

I don't go here all that often, but not that irregularly either. As far as I remember, this is the first place I tasted the revised recipe Brewdog Punk on draught (which is not even the current recipe, I think; but which at that time I peferred greatly to the original - my views may have changed on that); and when some of my group of friends were still in college in Trinity, this was often the closest pub with a decent smoking area and seats.

Its one of the few pubs in Dublin which generally has all three of the major stouts on tap - and with the addition of O'Haras - provided the location for an interesting taste test in 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment