Tuesday 17 March 2020

S1448 Liberty Belle

I had intended to drop in here first of my pubs on the evening I did the last few visits - but as I've mentioned before, I have a mental block on going in to a pub where the doorway is blocked by people. They can be security, like is normally the case at Cafe 1920 on Westmoreland Street, an aggressive menu-foister like The Celt or just punters like put me off before my eventual trips to the Windjammer and the Chancery.

And the Liberty Belle had the same issue. Pubs that didn't invest in a smoking area post 2004 generally expected you to go on the street; and as the overall number of smokers dwindles those that remain crowd doorways. And I won't push through a blocked doorway. So on my first pass I skipped the pub - again - but on the way back it wasn't blocked so I ventured in

What you get is the last remaining traditional D8 pub on the street, with a mostly local, mainly male audience watching sports and consuming relatively cheap pints. If I was to channel Pub Spy I'd need to comment on the quite well equipped toilets for a pub of its type; but I didn't drink Guinness so I can't give you the Pub Spy experience with any honesty.

The operators are clearly trying to attract some tourist trade, with their own certificate for pulling a pint scheme advertised outside; and a couple who had booked an AirBnB on the street turned up while I was there - finding a Liberties boozer to be rather confusing when I imagine they wanted Temple Bar tack. They did, however, buy some drinks and didn't just run away!


No comments:

Post a Comment