Wednesday 29 May 2019

N0131 The Beachcomber

Relatively poor recording of my sources of some info is giving me a conflict on the age of this pub - its website claims it was founded in 1963 by the current owners but I have a date of 1943 and a former name down. Killester was extensively developed in the 1940s, so I'm going to assume that the Duignan family took the pub over in 1963, but I could be wrong.

Regardless of which date it is from; there is a somewhat anachronistic but quite nice and decent condition 1920s/30s style interior to much of the bar, although the attention to detail is a bit lacking in one place. A quite substantial premises, it was busy with both food customers and those watching Sky Sports but there were still tables available.

Food here is primarily seafood, both on the bar food menu and in the dedicated restaurant upstairs. These are operated by Dorans of Howth, one of the fishmongers on the West Pier there. Despite my Grandfather having operated a fishing boat factory in Donegal; I don't generally eat fish so I hung around until Google indicated that the nearby chipper had opened to get food

Stepping in to said chipper - Lynch's - is like going back in time, with an interior decorated with Euro '88 memorabilia. With limited opening hours and somewhat feeling like it was in the owners house (I don't think it actually is, but anyway); it felt more like what you'd find in a small rural village, not very close to the city. The chips are fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment