Thursday 16 May 2019

1008060 Green Hen

There is a trend recently of higher-end Dublin restaurants obtaining pub licences to allow them to offer drinks to those who may not be eating (and minorly irritate me be adding premises that may require bookings). I had noticed this myself, with premises like 1014271 Dunne & Crescenzi adding a licence to a long-established restaurant, but it had already been called out in the Morrisseys 2017-8 review of the licenced trade in Dublin, so its probable I'd even read and forgot that before re"discovering" the trend

The Green Hen is one of these places. There are some pubs that work primarily as a restaurant, but this actually is a restaurant - you really won't get in here for just drinks normally; which does make the use of a pub licence a bit odd. However, it was absolutely dead in Dublin on the day I visited; so there was space at the bar and there were also some customers sitting outside also just drinking.

The beer selection is minimal; with cocktails, spirits - primarily a decent whiskey range - and and a very significant wine list making up the rest of the options. But realistically, you'll be going here for the food if you do - I just opportunistically jumped in when I realised they weren't busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment