Friday 10 March 2017

N2540 The Church

I didn't like this place much.

Formerly St Mary's COI church, this closed in 1986 and was a wallpaper shop and later a discount bookshop before being converted.

Not the only COI premises in the city centre to become a pub/nightclub (St George's on Hardwicke Place was the now closed Temple Theatre), this one has the proud claim of having being the wedding venue for Arthur Guinness. Indeed, I suspect that may be why it sells Guinness and Guinness alone from outside the C&C product range - everything else on draught is Bulmers, Five Lamps or a product C&C import which is very rare to see. Another possibility is that they don't actually have a stout.

I don't think I'll be returning - it felt like a bit of a throwback to 2005/6 inside and generally not what I'm looking for in a pub.

No comments:

Post a Comment