Sunday 4 February 2024

1002229 The Graduate

No Reservations was the name of one of Anthony Bourdain's famed TV series, and the series included a visit to Ireland, albeit its usually his later The Layover Dublin episode that is better remembered.

And indeed, I had No Reservation(-s) when going in to The Graduate, which nearly became fatal to actually obtaining a pint. Every single table in the - large - lounge area was either occupied or, in the case of about 40% of them, empty marked off with a reserved sign. These didn't appear to have any time markings, as is common in other pubs that reserve tables after a specific time; so all must be considered out of use.

I had been intending to get food at this stop, but my eventual seat at a giant, awkward table in the window of the bar area didn't seem quite conducive to this; and I didn't think I'd be granted access to one of the reserved seats if I asked, so I had a pint and left. 

Clearly very popular with locals for Saturday evening dinners, this is the only normal pub for a decent distance - there is a hotel up the road - and they're lucky to have it. The original pub burnt down in 2009, but was rebuilt almost identically.

No comments:

Post a Comment