Thursday 9 March 2023

N0240 Hole In The Wall

"Europe's longest pub" is also one of the Ireland's narrowest, a rabbit warren of small rooms with a continuous bar serving them, starting as a restaurant at one end, in to a wine bar and then the more pub areas; with a narrow-ish carpark continuing along past the actual 'hole in the wall' of the Phoenix Park, containing some food/coffee vans. 

An odd, albeit in a good way, event occurred during my visit here, which I will now tell in a more rambling manner than I'd usually write a place up.

I settled in here, at a massive table by the fire, while it was fairly quiet and started reading the paper - a broadsheet as it was Sunday, hence the massive table. Attentive floor staff service meant I got a second pint when I might have moved to the next pub; and shortly after that had been delivered; a large family grouping came through looking for a table.

As I was sitting at the largest table in probably the entire pub; and there were still plenty more left (albeit not quite as toasty as by the fire); I offered this to them and was effusively thanked, including by the very polite children.

Approx 10 minutes later, the same staff member who had been attempting to seat said large family arrived with a pint for me - sent down by them as further thanks for giving them the table! I made sure to thank them in person when passing on my way out (they were out of direct range of where I had moved to). So I ended up having three pints in a pub where I intended to have just the one; and this minorly reduced my plans for the rest of the day; albeit I was still avoiding the city centre due to the matches mentioned in the last report so I didn't have a huge area I could cover.

Not the first time I've had someone I previously didn't know buy me a pint when doing a pub ticking trip - but its only the third; the American tourists in N1879 The Bloody Stream, and the owner of another pub who wanted to go through the map for what history I had noted.

Anyway, back to the pub. Its got an interesting interior including a few bits I took photos of for further research; and its still a family run premises; not as common in Dublin as it is outside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment