Thursday 2 December 2021

S2254 Westbury Hotel / Balfes

I'm fairly sure you can go in here without having to be "dressed nice". But I do suspect that being dressed nearly identically to the maitre'd (albeit without the benefit of being Italian, or thinner) probably helped in terms of there being a table available on a busy Saturday lunchtime, considering this is the public bar of a 5* hotel.

However, once inside, it isn't particularly pretentious - the food menu is quite normal, and not even in the faux-home cooking way of somewhere like The Ivy; the drinks on offer are totally normal and the clientele are normal people, but wearing button down shirts.

Food was fine, glass of wine I bought to fit in was fine, pint I had after that when I realised everyone else was drinking pints was fine. Price wasn't absolutely obscene.

Another place I've yet to visit was completely full with a ~1h wait for tables - and people willing to take the wait - so this could be a decent option if you want a nicer lunch and other places are busy. And you don't feel like going to the other place that's extremely quiet.

This is my 600th-the-second-time-around pub to visit (DG0492 The Gladstone being the first time). Due to the way I use a floating list of licenced premises, and the significant number of licences that lapsed off the list in the last year, I ended up dropping well below 600 again. I would hope a few of those licence re-appear and boost me towards 650/700.

No comments:

Post a Comment