Monday 9 December 2019

N1116 Clearys

Someone was shot here in 2003, and I vaguely felt it might happen again during my visit - as a relatively aggressive, extremely drunk man was haranguing some regulars (who all left) and then the barman. Eventually it was just the barman, him and me in the entire pub; which was my cue to drink up and get out.

I didn't hear any news of the barmans demise thankfully, so I may have been over-reacting...


The pub was built about 1850 to serve the growing community of Inchicore developing around the railway Inchicore Works, and still carries the name "GREAT SOUTHERN AND WESTERN RAILWAY HOUSE" along the pediment of the building. Significantly less people work in Inchicore Works now, although it is still a substantial operation, and this may be why the pub was incredibly quiet for a Friday evening... or everyone else knew about the drunken twat already.

Its clear that a decent amount of money has been spent on fitout here, probably quite recently too - the exterior of the pub was renovated and painted about 2017 going on Google Streetview anyway. If the volume of patrons when I visited is indicative of the norm I don't see how they'll ever recover that outlay.

No comments:

Post a Comment