Wednesday 20 November 2019

N1245 Cottage Inn

I've never made myself leave a pub due to the smell of food before; but there's a first time for everything. Now, I've been put off by smells before, but normally of something else - and normally negative

In this case, the smell was that of pepper sauce coming from that days lunch special, which smelled so delicious I needed to ensure I was as far away as possible lest I end up having a second, and then third lunch. I think it was a beef pie, but I would have just taken a bucket of the sauce based on how good it smelled.

Back to the pub itself - this pub feels like it could be out in the countryside, and indeed it sort-of was when it was built. This was the edge of the city, but the fields beyond were developed for industry by the 1960s and the small cottages that sit surrounded by industrial and retail warehouses now look quite out of places.

There's basically one room here, without any attempt to divide it in to a bar and lounge. This is what I'm used to in pubs outside of Dublin moreso than inside the M50, which is where most of the country feel comes from. It's also a single storey building, a rare enough occurrence even for suburban standalone pubs in the city.

Some day I'm in the area and I haven't already had a massive lunch at a previous pub I must drop back in and see if the "special" is actually a regular on the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment