Monday 11 November 2019

N0137 Harry Byrnes

I thought I'd finished the Victorian Pubs Of Dublin set when I did the few out in Ranelagh, I really did. Nearly everyone judges this off the Kearns list, which gives various criteria - and would leave me unfinished due to S0303 Finnegans which I have not yet been to.

Harry Byrnes does not appear on that list however. And, if you trust the pubs website - I have no reason not to - for good reason- that would be because its actually Edwardian; having been rebuilt in 1906 - but many of the stated Victorian pubs are nowhere near as original as this. You'll get a better Victorian experience here in not-Victorian splendour really.

Externally, the pub looks fantastic (I hasn't researched the history before I posted...) and the interior is every level of dark wood, partitions and old advertising signs that you could ever want. I was there on a relatively busy weekend afternoon/evening and you could still find the type of dignified solitude with a pint that's normally only found in a snug of an otherwise dead pub.

I think there may be a more modern bit at the rear of the pub - I didn't go wandering as much as I usually would as I had a train time to head for in my mind - but I know where I'd stay drinking if this was my local.

No comments:

Post a Comment