Monday 28 October 2019

S0083 The Oak

My sister insists I'd been here before. She can even name a date - Friday August 10, 2007 - that it apparently was.

She doesn't normally keep this level of detailed memories; but that was the day that Tony Wilson, founder of Factory Records, died so it's at least a bit more memorable. And I do think we went out that night, but to S0994 Bruxelles.

If I was actually here that night, it was in the modern side of the pub, then called Thomas Reads, more recently briefly The Ivy; and not the beautiful old bar constructed from oak timbers of the RMS Mauretania. This was The Oak the entire time; but this name is now used for the entire premises. The Ivy had to change its name due to a threat of legal action from the owners of The Ivy restaurant chain, which has since opened a branch on Dawson Street (1014544 The Ivy)

Anyway, I hadn't recorded it as visited simply because I couldn't remember actually being here. And aptly enough I was meeting my sister to go to a gig in The Olympia and had some time to kill, which lead me here for a few pints.

The surroundings are both relatively standard early 20th Century pub, and yet almost unique due to the source of the wood panelling - a bar in Bristol was kitted out with some; but as this has recently been a nightclub I don't know what if anything remains.

I could have stayed for longer, but the temptation of the much greater range of beers in Underdog got too much. I'll remember this trip anyway, and probably won't leave it 12 years before coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment