Thursday 25 November 2021

S3947 37 Dawson Street

The last outlier for me on Dawson Street, the usual presence of a bouncer in the door here sets off one of my dislikes about pub - having to pass someone to get in - so it ended up becoming the last visited for that reason. Of course, now you have to sign in with someone to get in to a pub; so it doesn't really matter - but the bouncer wasn't on yet when I arrived anyway.

A branch of the NolaClan/House group, this was a bar and restaurant in normal times but is currently only operating as a bar. I hadn't realised this, and had signed in / been seated before it became apparent - so pints were followed by a trip to Burger King on Grafton Street instead. I suspect this isn't the plan for the future, but the premises has only recently reopened after Lockdown closures.

This isn't my type of pub, but that means its probably perfectly tuned for those who it does suit - a design heavy cocktail bar in the city centre has a specific audience, and I'm not it. List tick obtained, and I would go back if I had a reason to.

This bar originally opened in the mid 2000s as "Ron Blacks". This incarnation closed in ~2010 and reopened as 37 Dawson Street in 2012; but Ron Black - who I don't think owned this pub - continued working in 37 in the whiskey bar until 2018.

Ron Black was however the owner of S0010 Dawson Lounge, Dublin's smallest pub a few doors up, a pub which many people still call Ron Blacks.

Edit: It appears that this premises was opened by the Thomas Read Group, who at that stage also owned the Dawson Lounge. It was sold by their receiver to become a branch of the Gaucho restaurant chain - which didn't happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment