Wednesday 28 August 2019

S1519 Bird Flanagan

This wasn't the original target of my trip to Rialto, but as S1493 Anchor Bar was closed. I'm not sure if its fully closed or not; but there's no Facebook updates since June, and the last one referred to it being temporarily closed so its hard to tell. But I'd have to go here at some point anyway - so rather than waste the trip I popped in.

This is one of the relatively few Dublin pubs named after a person who is not a current or former owner the pub - and one of the less obvious ones at that (Publin's put together a list of these). The escapades of The Bird Flanagan are gone in to over at Come Here To Me!, and to much disappointment I didn't see anyone acting even vaguely similarly in the pub.

This is an average mid-sized suburban pub, doing all the things normal suburban pubs do - the regular pub scene music acts, the regular lunch menu, the regular conservatory tacked on the back... wait, that's something the average mid-sized suburban house has surely? There's one here, though; and its a nice place to sit if the sun manages to get through the clouds as it briefly did when I was there.

My usual search for anything interesting on Google about a pub and its history shows that the conservatory was a non-smoking area of the pub some half a decade before the pub smoking ban came in. It also turned up this, the less said of the better I suspect - and really quite a long time ago now!

No comments:

Post a Comment