Sunday 6 May 2018

N0078 John Kavanagh (The Gravediggers)

I had previously said I thought I'd done all the pubs people expected me to have visited, but I hadn't. This was one. I've identified another but that can wait until I do visit it.

One of the generally identified pubs that retain their Victorian era interiors, after having featured in TV shows and movies and getting an overall name for its authenticity; this pub which is in a residential square and off the beaten track is usually extremely busy. When compared to other pubs which are equivalently hidden away - N1123 Slatts or 1012782 The Hideout this pub may as well be in Temple Bar

However, it isn't. Drink prices reflect its suburban location - change from a fiver is possible for a pint. There's no TV, there's a limited food menu with extremely limited hours and a fairly restricted range of drink; but that is what you go there for.

There's not many pubs in Dublin that are consistently known by an unofficial name, and this is probably the best known. There is some acceptance of the name by the owners, the Kavanagh family who have operated the pub for hundreds of years, but the pub is definitely called John Kavanagh and not The Gravediggers. But nobody will really object to either name.

No comments:

Post a Comment