Saturday 2 July 2016

Statement of Intent

I've decided to try and 'drink' (see rules) in every pub in County Dublin. I can't find anyone who's done it, yet, but search results suggest a Japanese guy is a few hundred ahead of me already - but he's working off a printed book as his source.

Rules I've set for trying:

I am going to use the Revenue list of licence holders as my source list for pubs. This does not always contain the full list of licences - somehow, as you'd expect Revenue to have a handle on this - so I'll check back often.

Off-licences, wholesalers (neither of which would be too happy with drinking on-site) restaurant and "wine on-licence" licences are excluded - these aren't pubs. Aerodrome and other special licences are included - except if there's good reason to exclude them. Passenger vehicle licences are only included if they spend most to all their time in Dublin - considering the Rosslare-Cherbourg ferry is registered in Dublin this is required.

This leaves me with (current) 945 pubs or other drinking venues to cover. Doable, I think.
 
I'm not intending to (necessarily) drink alcohol in every pub, as there are certain ones where this would become impractical to tick them off the list. However I do intend to buy a drink of some description and consume it.

Premises which have two licences (e.g. a pub and a theatre, or a horse track and pub licence) count as one.

Pubs which reopen on the site of a recently closed one will be judged (by me) to be the same pub for the purposes of completion. Similarly if I've drunk somewhere that has reopened under a new name, I'm not going back - unless I want to.

I will state shortly every pub from the list which I have already drunk in. There won't be much documentary evidence for this, but if you're willing to accept that from the other ~800 I'm sure you'll be OK for these.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on your quest! I've been doing something similar for the last 13 years - I'm up to about 350. My map looks pretty barren outside the city centre: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1c8hbM8kRrmSOsDyidIOlvz7TUH8&usp=sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've much better coverage of the southside than I do. Your criteria for defunct would have me chasing my tail for quite a while - I blissfully treat renames as if they haven't changed!

      I have a draft post written on the closures and survivors from the Dubliner 101 from 2006 which I never got around to tidying up, your layer for it there reminded me so I may get around to it this weekend.

      Delete