Saturday, 25 July 2026

Revisit writeup because I feel like it: 1021997 The Wild Duck

This wouldn't get a rewrite under the normal rules I apply. It isn't somewhere I intend to revisit a lot; and it isn't >=18 years since I was last there.

It's actually ~17 years. So I'd probably end up doing one in 2027 anyway.

The main reason I'm doing it is that the place has probably changed more in the interim than any other still trading premises in the city.

When I used to go here - fairly frequently for a short few years - this was Sin; a mid sized mid range nightclub that varied between gay nights, some serious dance music nights and, particularly as the financial crash got worse, €50 entry all-you-can-drink nights. 

It survived the financial crash, and the hotelgeddon that killed many other nightclubs (possibly by being a smaller building than most), only to close in 2017 when the lease changed hands.

But the building - an 1850s Bewleys Tea warehouse conversion - stayed in licenced trade use; reopening in 2018 as a "theatre bar" (it is, in fact, a theatre in licencing terms and should not be serving drinks without food or a performance on...) by Gary Whelan, the Wild Duck.

This no longer looked or felt like a nightclub, with effectively a standard pub installed in the premises; and only the ceiling height in the back bar making it clear what it once was. 

This iteration of the pub closed in October 2023, but the pub reopened in December 2024 under the auspices of the former operators of Lanigans, and the Lanigans style of having lots of random stuff hanging off the ceiling has been repeated - indeed, I believe it is the same stuff they were able to remove from the hotel before the bar changed operators.

The main issue here now is the price. Temple Bar prices are charged for pints, as the pub is in Temple Bar. There are cheaper options nearby, however, and that's where I go normally to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment